Your sleep specialist in Bradenton, and Sarasota, FL, can help you sleep well.
Sleeping soundly at night is critical to your mind and body. It’s a chance for your body to reset, so you are ready to take on the next day. Sometimes you may experience a night of restless sleep, making you groggy in the morning and drowsy during the day. If you experience restless sleep often, it could be a sign of a sleep disorder. Your sleep specialist can help.
Dr. Jeremy McConnell at Florida Sleep Specialists offers a wide variety of sleep-related testing and treatments. He has two convenient office locations in Bradenton, and Sarasota, FL, to help you sleep well again.
There are a few simple tips you can try to help you relax and sleep well. Remember to:
- Avoid caffeine in your diet
- Don’t have a television or other blue screen in your bedroom
- Practice a ritual like taking a warm bath or reading before bed
- Use a sound machine to listen to calming sounds before sleep
If you suffer frequent episodes of restless sleep, you may have:
Restless leg syndrome, also known as RLS, is a condition typically felt in the legs, but it can also affect other body parts. RLS causes creeping pain in the legs, often resulting in insomnia. RLS doesn’t just affect your sleeping ability. It can also make it difficult to sit for an extended period of time, impacting your ability to drive, or sit at work or school.
Periodic limb movement disorder, also known as PLMS, is a condition that causes “independent, repetitive, highly-stereotyped limb movements that occur during sleep” according to the National Sleep Foundation. Uncontrolled movements occur every 10 to 60 seconds. They can also last a few minutes or continue for hours.
The risk of developing a restless sleep disorder increases if you:
- Have ADHD
- Have a high caffeine intake
- Experience high-stress levels
- Take certain medications, including antidepressants
The first step in treating a restless sleep disorder is having a sleep study performed. The sleep study will help your sleep specialist determine the type and degree of your sleep disorder. Effective treatments for restless sleep disorders include:
- Diet and lifestyle modification, to decrease caffeine and increase regular exercise
- Taking iron supplements because low iron levels can increase symptoms
- Medications, including dopamine agonists to reduce PLMS symptoms
To learn more about restless sleep disorders, call Dr. McConnell at Florida Sleep Specialists. You can reach us by calling 941-792-8383 or 941-827-0701 today!