How Sleeping Patterns Can Lead to Congestive Heart Failure

Dr. Jeremy McConnell of Florida Sleep Specialists is here for you in Bradenton, FL, and Sarasota, FL, if you or a loved one is struggling with a sleep disorder. Poor sleep will affect your heart health over time and can even lead to congestive heart failure. Keep reading for more about sleep patterns and your heart, and come see us if you’re concerned about congestive heart failure in Bradenton, FL.

REM Sleep and Non-REM Sleep

According to the CDC, most adults need at least seven hours of sleep each night. Getting enough quality sleep is essential for your overall health and the health of your heart. Of total time slept, rapid-eye-movement (REM) sleep accounts for 20% of the time, and non-REM sleep the other 80%. REM sleep is when most dreaming occurs but during non-REM sleep your heart rate, breathing, and blood pressure levels all drop below normal.

Sleep and your heart

Anytime you wake up from sleep, even briefly, your heart rate and blood pressure go up so your heart is working harder. When you have a sleep-related breathing disorder like sleep apnea you can wake up hundreds of times a night. If you suffer from sleep apnea you are more likely to have high blood pressure and are at a higher risk of heart disease and stroke. Insomnia is also linked to high blood pressure and heart disease. If you are struggling with sleep apnea or insomnia, it is putting more stress on your heart every night.

To get better sleep, stick to a sleep schedule and do enough physical activity every day. If you can do this outside in natural light that’s even better! To fall asleep easier, avoid artificial light (screen time) near bedtime and don’t eat for a few hours before bed. If you are still suffering from a sleep disorder, consult with your doctor before it leads to congestive heart failure.

Dr. Jeremy McConnell is here for you at Florida Sleep Specialists if you are not getting quality sleep. See a doctor before erratic sleeping patterns lead to congestive heart failure. Contact us for an appointment in Bradenton, FL, at (941) 792-8383 and in Sarasota, FL, at (941) 827-0701.