You probably know that sleep can impact your daily life, but did you know that sleep & the heart are directly connected? Dr. Jeremy McConnell and the team at Florida Sleep Specialists in Sarasota and Bradenton, FL provide insight in the quick guide below.
Connection Between Sleep & The Heart
Do you know what goes on while you sleep? Your brain and body relax and recuperate, which is essential for your day-to-day life. Most people are aware of this, but the process is a little deeper than that.
When you’re in the NREM or non-rapid eye movement sleep phase, several things go on. Your breathing regulates, your blood pressure lowers, and your heart rate slows down. All of this allows the heart – the muscle that works hard to keep you alive – to rest.
If you do not reach the NREM sleep phase or do not get enough of it, it leads to a chronic amount of stress on your heart and keeps your blood pressure elevated. This can lead to issues such as:
- Heart disease
- Heart attack
- Obesity, which can put an even greater strain on your heart
How Can I Get Better Quality Sleep?
It’s essential that you get at least seven hours of good quality sleep each day to minimize health issues. To help, here are a few tips to try.
- Be active each day. Whether it’s a walk, a cardio workout, or yoga, do some form of physical activity every day. This can help promote restful sleep.
- Make your bedroom comfortable. Use a mattress and pillow that supports your spine and neck to prevent discomfort while you sleep. Keep your room cool and dark. Consider using a lavender candle or wax warmer a couple of hours before bed.
- Don’t eat anything heavy within a few hours of bed. This can cause discomfort while you try to sleep. If you need something before bed, choose a light snack.
- Visit Florida Sleep Specialists. Whether you have a sleep disorder that needs attention or you just need guidance for getting better sleep, Dr. McConnell can help.
Learn more about the connection between sleep & the heart by scheduling a visit with Dr. McConnell at Florida Sleep Specialists. You can make an appointment at the Sarasota, FL office by calling (941) 827-0701 or the Bradenton, FL office by calling (941) 792-8383.