How your sleep specialist in Bradenton, FL, can help you sleep better
Occasional episodes of not being able to sleep are a common problem. They can be caused by increased stress, eating before bed, an uncomfortable mattress, and many other issues. If you are experiencing frequent episodes of sleeplessness, you could have a sleep disorder like sleep apnea or insomnia.
The good news is, your sleep specialist can help you sleep well again. Dr. Jeremy McConnell at Florida Sleep Specialists in Bradenton and Sarasota, FL, offers a wide range of sleep disorder treatments, including treatment for sleep apnea and insomnia.
It’s important to remember that the effects of sleep deprivation can be lasting and profound. Sleep deprivation can affect your performance, decreasing your ability to do well at work or in school.
Sleep deprivation can cause you to:
- Feel tired throughout your day
- Experience low energy levels
- Be unable to concentrate and focus
- Experience mood swings and irritability
There are some things you can do initially to try and get a good night’s sleep. Remember to:
- Have set times to wake up and go to bed
- Stay active and exercise regularly
- Avoid taking naps, or only take short naps
- Avoid smoking and nicotine products
- Limit your caffeine and alcohol intake
- Don’t eat large meals before you go to sleep
- Check your medications to see if they might be causing sleeplessness
You need to also ensure your bedroom is a quiet place, with no TV or loud noises. It is often helpful to create a ritual before bedtime like reading, listening to relaxing music, or taking a warm bath. Stay away from reading your phone or computer screen right before bed.
There are several effective treatments for insomnia or sleep apnea. Treatment begins with a sleep study to determine if your sleep deprivation is caused by an underlying sleep disorder. After your sleep specialist determines what is causing your sleeplessness, he may recommend:
- Medications to help you sleep
- Behavioral therapy to prepare you for sleep
- Relaxation techniques, to calm your mind and body
For sleep apnea:
- A CPAP machine, to maintain continuous oxygen through your airway
- An oral appliance, to maintain an open airway by holding your lower jaw forward
To find out more about how sleeplessness can affect you, and how your doctor can help with insomnia or sleep apnea, talk with an expert. Call Dr. Jeremy McConnell of Florida Sleep Specialists in Bradenton and Sarasota, FL, at (941) 792-8383. Call now, and sleep better soon!