Sleeping well becomes a challenge when you have restless leg syndrome (RLS). Fortunately, your sleep medicine specialist in Bradenton, and Sarasota, FL, Dr. Jeremy McConnell of Florida Sleep Specialists, offers treatments and strategies that can ease your restless leg syndrome symptoms.
Common Restless Leg Syndrome Symptoms
If you have RLS, these symptoms probably sound familiar:
- Uncomfortable Sensations in Your Legs: You may experience creepy, crawly, pulling, throbbing or burning sensations in your legs if you have RLS. These sensations usually occur when you’re sitting or lying down.
- Sleep Problems: Restless leg syndrome may make it hard to fall asleep or stay asleep.
- Irresistible Urge to Move: It’s difficult to keep still when your legs are so uncomfortable. In fact, you might have the urge to move your legs back and forth, pace, jump or run in place. Of course, the more you move, the harder it is to sleep.
- Daytime Issues: When you don’t get a good night’s sleep, you’re likely to feel tired and irritable the next day. Lack of sleep can also affect your ability to concentrate and focus on work or school.
What you can do about Restless Leg Syndrome
A few of these strategies may help reduce or relieve your symptoms:
- Exercise more during the day
- Stay away from foods and beverages that contain stimulants, like caffeine and alcohol, especially a few hours before bedtime
- Quit smoking, vaping, or using products that contain nicotine
- Stretch your legs before bed
- Use a heating pad or ice pack when your symptoms flare-up
- Try meditation and other relaxation techniques
- Follow the same sleep schedule every day of the week
- Take iron supplements if your iron level is low
If your restless leg syndrome symptoms don’t improve, it’s a good idea to pay a visit to your Bradenton, and Sarasota, FL, sleep medicine specialist. Your doctor can prescribe medications that reduce leg movements and uncomfortable symptoms or block pain signals in your legs from reaching your brain.
Are you struggling with restless leg syndrome? Paying a visit to your Bradenton, and Sarasota, FL, sleep medicine specialist, Dr. McConnell of Florida Sleep Specialists, can help you calm those unpleasant sensations in your legs. Call the Bradenton office at 941-792-8383, or the Sarasota office by dialing 941-827-0701.